Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett



The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett has been one of the most refreshing books I have ever read. I was captivated by the plot from page one. Follett built this characters in such a way that I felt like I knew them, heroes and villains alike. This was a rare treat of a book to read. The copy I read was mass market paperback. 983 pages flew by faster than any other book I've consumed thus far because I had to find out what was going to happen next.

Because I don't give the books' plot away in the course of my reviews, I won't go into so much detail as to ruin the book, but I will mention a few things in case you're wanting to go out and buy a copy. Follett's characters travel extensively throughout Europe. The time period is the twelfth century England. If you're a history buff or love historical fiction, this is the book for you! My head hurts when I think about the amount of research that would have been necessary to write this novel.

Another reason I recommend The Pillars of the Earth is that it is a very simple, yet deep story. Both of my parents read it before I did. My mother mainly reads light romance and Oprah pick books. I've never seen my father read fiction. EVER. He also loved Pillars of the Earth. I'm a bookworm and enjoy many types of books, but when I realized both my mother and father had read Pillars of the Earth from the library, I was shocked. My mom read it in under three weeks, then my father read it when she renewed it.

Naturally, I wanted a copy for myself. Books that are nearly 1000 pages don't agree with me if I'm forced to read them in a short amount of time. It made an excellent Christmas gift. Even so, I finished it in approximately three weeks as well, even though I owned a copy of my own. My mother-in-law is also reading Pillars of the Earth and has discussed early chapters with me already.

Overall, this book is a must read! *****

0 comments: