Sunday, July 26, 2009

What Looks Like Crazy by Charlotte Hughes



What Looks Like Crazy by Charlotte Hughes was a fun read. I give it three and a half stars. *** 1/2.

I think the first paragraph of What Looks Like Crazy was one of the best paragraphs I've ever read in a book. I was hooked right away. What Looks Like Crazy follows the professional life of Dr. Kate Holly as well as her love life. She is a psychologist and has a lot of crazy patients. Her secretary/friend Mona is a trip, and her family is hilarious. This was a light read which kept me smiling throughout.

What keeps me from giving it a little higher rating is that the characters were funny, but some of them were a little too out there for me. In particular, I couldn't find much affection for Thad's character. He is another doctor and is a former lover and friend of Dr. Holly's. I expect the patients to be a little nutty but Thad's behavior, especially with his brother Thomas is a little too much for me. It was cute at first but annoyed me the further into the novel I read.

It took me about two weeks to read this book, but the reason had nothing to do with the pacing of Hughes' writing. I used this one as my book to read during lunch when I had free time at work. It's only 261 as mass market paperback, so it was easy to keep in my purse and to carry with me.

There is a sequel titled, "Nutcase," but I don't think I'm going to read it. I enjoyed the plot and characters, but not enough to invest myself in another novel.

0 comments: