Sunday, August 23, 2009

Vision in Blue by Nicole Byrd



Vision in Blue by Nicole Byrd is a regency romance. Byrd writes a few different series but with characters who weave in and out of the series and have different relationships with each other. The novel follows the story of Miss Gemma Smith and her friend Miss Louisa Crookshank. Gemma spends most of the book trying to find her parentage.

Gemma was sent to a foundling home as a young child. After a year in the foundling home, she was taken to a school for gentlewomen and given financial support through a solicitor. When Gemma turns twenty one, she receives a letter from her mother through the solicitor telling her that she has a brother named Lord Gabriel Sinclair in London. Gemma travels to London to seek out her family. Along the way, she meets Louisa, who is engaged to Mr. Lucas Englewood. Gemma stays with Louisa in her rented home in London.

At first, I had a difficult time getting into this book because I'm not accustomed to reading historical romance. The pacing is a lot slower than the books I'm used to reading, and I was bored. I was determined to read the entire novel, though, because I got to hear Nicole Byrd speak at Music City Romance Writers. I also knew several people who had read Byrd's work and loved it.

I continued reading. Once I got halfway through, I was hooked. For a proper and ladylike book, this one through me for a loop in the second half. There was a lot of suspense later on, and I couldn't put the book down until I had finished it. I may end up reading the whole series, but I haven't made up my mind yet. Like a few of my other posts, I've plucked this book out of the middle of a series. It was very much self contained, and I didn't feel like I was missing out by not having read the books that came before it in the series, but I'm now curious about some of the other characters that are the protagonists in the other books earlier and later in the series.

I got to the end knowing who Gemma's mother was, but the novel ended with the question of who her father was. I'm curious now.

I give this book four stars ****

0 comments: