Monday, November 30, 2009

Whiskey Sour by J.A. Konrath


This book was good enough that I couldn't sit down to write a review of it until I also read the second and third books in the series: Bloody Mary and Rusty Nail. I asked for Bloody Mary as a Christmas gift last year. Just as I was sitting down to read it, I went to J.A. Konrath's website and realized I didn't have the first book in the series. So, it took me a few months go get off my rear end and buy the first book so I could read the second one.

I'm sure glad I did.

Whisky Sour is a mixture of wit, fast-paced action, and lovable characters. Even the characters who get under the protagonist's skin are characters I love to hate. Jack Daniels, the hero cop who solves crimes in the series, has a knack for solving murders using the help of characters she wants to avoid. Harry McGlade is one such character.

I also love Jack's partner, Herb Benedict. He compliments Jack's police skill well. I found myself wanting to give the guy a great, big, teddy-bear hug. He reminded me a little of Santa Claus with his love of food and his knack at being there for Jack.

The action scenes in Whisky Sour are nail biting, especially the scenes in which the killer, The Gingerbread Man, is inside Jack's apartment. I found myself checking my closets before going to bed after reading Whiskey Sour.

I give this one 5 stars *****. It had been awhile since I read funny hard-boiled fiction. The change was refreshing.

0 comments: