Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Night Prey by John Sandford



Night Prey by John Sandford is the sixth book in the Prey series featuring chief detective Lucas Davenport. In Night Prey, Davenport works with Meagan Connell, a State Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigator. She is a feminist and has only a short amount of time before she will die of cancer. She is between treatments for most of the novel.

In the beginning of the novel, I had a hard time focusing on the characters because I kept waiting for Lucas Davenport's arrival. I already knew him from Chosen Prey, and I couldn't stay focused on the other characters like Rose Marie Roux.

I also had a hard time identifying with Robert Koop, the killer. I'm not sure that it was an reflection of the writing as much as my expectations based on Chosen Prey. It was more difficult for me to go backward to another book that was still in the middle of the series. I couldn't figure out how serious the relationship between Davenport and Weather (sp? I listened to the audio book) was. I knew they were living together, but they still didn't seem as serious as a lot of other characters from other novels I've read who live together. Lucas' feelings for the reporter confused me. His feelings weren't as clean as I would have liked them.

About halfway through Night Prey, the pieces all started coming together, and I couldn't put the book down. I thought it had a satisfying ending with a few interesting twists. Overall, I still recommend Night Prey, but I would have liked to have seen more character building of Koop and a little less of the minor characters. I'll probably read another in the series later on. Perhaps Sandford uses this book as a stepping stone for other books. I was pleased he kept Dale in the plot.

I give it 3 1/2 stars *** 1/2

0 comments: