Monday, September 7, 2009

Roses are Red by James Patterson


Roses are Red
by James Patterson is the sixth book in the Alex Cross Series. The villain in Roses are Red is named the Mastermind. Throughout the whole book, Patterson is consistent in using this term, both from Cross' perspective and from the villain's perspective. Just like Cassanova in Kiss the Girls, and Jack and Jill in Jack & Jill, I find using this type of a title intrigues me more as a reader rather than having the name of the killer right away.

The library didn't have this one on audio book, so I read the paperback. Like Cross (the first book I plucked out of the middle of the series, and the novel that got me hooked on Patterson's writing), Roses are Red was a quick, energetic read. I finished it in five days. I don't have the novel in front of me at the moment, but it was around 360 pages. Patterson tends to write very short chapters, sometimes only a page or two, so it wasn't nearly as dense as other 360 page novels. There is a lot of white space on the pages.

I began Roses are Red needing to find out what happens with Christine Johnson and her baby. I wanted to know for sure whether Cross was the father of if Geoffrey Shafer had raped her from The Weasel. I also wanted to know immediately after beginning the book how things end up. The Mastermind was very different from Patterson's other villains I've read thus far in that a lot of the killing isn't carried out by the Mastermind himself.

When I finally found out who the Mastermind truly is, I wished I had Violets are Blue (the next book in the series) because I was hungry for more. Much more. Patterson tells stories with excellent timing. I won't be happy until I've read Violets are Blue. I couldn't believe how Roses are Red ended. I practically salivated.

I also felt like I got to know Jannie and Damon, Cross' kids, a little better.

I give Roses are Red four and a half stars **** 1/2. The only thing keeping me from giving it five stars was that I felt like Cross spent as much time with his love interest as his children. I keep wanting to slap him in the face and tell him to spend a solid week at home with his kids. I suppose that wouldn't make for as entertaining a read, though!

0 comments: