Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pop Goes the Weasel by James Patterson




Pop Goes the Weasel by James Patterson is the fifth book in Patterson's Alex Cross series. I listened to the unabridged audio book version of this novel. One thing that struck me as difficult to get used to was that there was a different narrator for this book than Cat and Mouse and Jack & Jill. Unlike both those novels, not only was narrator a different man, but there was only one person reading the story. I had gotten used to hearing two different male voices, one for Alex Cross speaking in first person and one for Geoffrey Shafer in third person.

I had to pay more attention to the details as I was driving and listening since I couldn't space off for a minute in traffic and return to what was happening in the novel as easily. The end result was that I gathered more details of Patterson's writing.

I rate Pop Goes the Weasel 4 stars ****. I needed to find out the ending to this one, especially what happened with Christine Johnson, Alex's love interest.

I didn't identify with Shafer as much as I did with Along Came a Spider, but I liked him better than the killers in Jack & Jill and Cat and Mouse. There was a good mix of mystery behind who he really was, but yet there were a few actions Shafer took that made me shake my head. Even for a deranged lunatic killer, Shafer did a few things that I wouldn't think were realistic. I was able to suspend my disbelief because Shafer viewed everything as part of a larger game rather than acting out of emotion.

The last handful of chapters were the most exciting. I was riveted at the end, and had to pick up the next book in the series, Roses are Red. The library doesn't have an audio book version of the next book, so I'll go back to reading Patterson rather than listening to him. I've been buying so many books lately that I would rather read this next one anyway.

0 comments: